Sunday, January 25, 2009

Illinois 64, Wisconsin 57

First off, I want to apologize to all my adoring fans for not posting a game recap after the Ohio State game. Simple negligence on my part and it won't happen again. At any rate, after knocking off Wisconsin yesterday, Illinois is looking rather strong at 5-2, 17-3. Although I never want to get my hopes up too high, it is starting to look like the Illini can focus more on their seeding than whether or not they get into the NCAA Tournament. I think the big story from yesterday's game is Demetri McCamey, who had perhaps his finest game as an Illini with 25 points, 7 assists and 4 rebounds. He was extremely efficient too, shooting 6-10 from the field (2-5 from 3) and 11-13 from the free throw line. Getting 13 free throw attempts in one game is probably an aberration but I am optimistic that McCamey will start to utilize his strength and get to the basket more often.

Here is the plus-minus chart from yesterday's game:
































PlayerP/MMinutes
Demetri McCamey+235
Trent Meacham+935
Chester Frazier+835
Mike Davis+537
Mike Tisdale+1319
Calvin Brock-113
Dominique Keller+519
Jeff Jordan-23
Alex Legion-44




Surprisingly, the team was only +2 with McCamey on the court. I don't know how much to read into that since he played 35 minutes but his plus-minus lagged behind the other starters in this game, which is a pretty consistent trend with him. I wonder if even when he's making shots, the offense has a better flow without him since he hogs the ball a lot. Certainly the team defends better without him. Tisdale was an unbelievable +13 in 19 minutes, making me wonder if Illinois could have put the game away earlier if he hadn't been in foul trouble in the first half. One reason he might have been particularly effective in this game is Wisconsin's lack of comparable size. Jon Leuer is 6-10, but skinny, and after that they have no one above 6-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment